Leadership coursework and experiences can happen concurrently. Student who complete the Leadership Engagement Certificate and would like to continue their leadership journey, are encouraged to apply for the Leadership Studies Minor (LSM).
Below is an overview of components for the Leadership Engagement Certificate.
- Required class sequence: LDST 201/202 course sequence-Introduction to Leadership and Leadership Applications. (This course was previously called COMS 201/202. If you took this class as COMS 201/202, it still counts toward the certificate.)
- Elective class (this class needs to be a 3-credit hour class): A leadership class relevant to your major offered by your school or academic department OR a course with content applicable to organizational leadership, non-profit and community leadership, social justice, or diversity. See qualifying classes.
- Leadership experiences through student organizations and committees, peer mentoring, Sorority & Fraternity Life Executive Positions, KJHK, Marching Jayhawks, Student Housing, Student Union Activities, etc.
- Opportunities to engage in the leadership through your school or academic department.
- Campus trainings such as Blueprints, Freshman Leadership Connection, Colors of KU, KU Quest, etc. Maximum of 20 training hours can be counted toward the total 48 hours needed to complete the certificate.
- Depending on the content, internship or practicum experiences may count but need to be petitioned.
- Preview or download (pdf) the final reflection questions
Questions? Please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org