Overview of MA
The MA in Leadership in Diversity and Inclusion offers graduate students and working professionals tools and techniques to better understand and navigate leadership opportunities within the context of social diversity and equity in the United States. Coursework for the MA in Leadership in Diversity and Inclusion is a combination of face-to-face and online classes.
As an interdisciplinary program, the focus of the MA in Leadership in Diversity and Inclusion is to:
- Build foundational knowledge of the history, theory, and practice of leadership with an emphasis on ethical decision making and understanding of the dynamics of power in doing the work of leadership
- Increase understanding of the meaning of social diversity and equity in the United States
- Apply this knowledge to real world situations such as workplace bias and fairness, teaching environments, youth sports and recreation activities, work with community nonprofit agencies, etc.
Academic objectives for the program combine those of the constituent graduate certificates, supplemented by an introduction to the culture of graduate education, offering graduate students and working professionals:
- Knowledge, tools, and strategies to enter into, understand, navigate through, and succeed in the culture of higher education
- Tools and techniques to better understand and navigate leadership opportunities within professional and community environments
- Knowledge and strategies to respond efficiently and effectively to the demands of a changing social, cultural, and political landscape while doing the work of leadership
- Resources necessary to supplement their degrees and professional positions with a stronger understanding and historical background of core domains relevant to social differences and their meanings