Leadership coursework and experiences can happen concurrently. Students who complete the Leadership Engagement Certificate and would like to continue their leadership journey, are encouraged to apply for the Leadership Studies Minor (LSM).
Below is an overview of components for the Leadership Engagement Certificate.
Take LDST 200 or 201 and 202, or 203 (Honors) and an elective class. All classes that count toward a certificate must be completed with a grade of "C" or better.
- Required class sequence: LDST 200 or LDST 201 & 202 or LDST 203 (Honors). (LDST 201 & 202 were previously called COMS 201/202. If you took this class as COMS 201/202, it still counts toward the certificate.)
- Elective class (this class needs to be a 3-credit hour class): A leadership class relevant to your major offered by your school or academic department OR a course with content applicable to your leadership engagement track.
48 hours of hands-on learning is required and needs to take place during a student’s time at KU. This certificate focuses on experiences related to your education at the University of Kansas. Experiences need to happen under guidance of KU faculty/staff member and be affiliated with KU. Student projects/activities should work toward making positive change for the broader community. Up to 20 of those hours can be leadership training through programs offered by the Student Involvement and Leadership Center, Office of Multicultural Affairs, etc. See full list of pre-approved experiences. The signed verification form (pdf) documenting your experiences can be turned in through myKU Portal. Activities can include (but not limited to):
- Leadership experiences through student organizations and committees, peer mentoring, Sorority & Fraternity Life Executive Positions, KJHK, Marching Jayhawks, Student Housing, Student Union Activities, etc.
- Opportunities to engage in the leadership through your school or academic department.
- Campus trainings such as Blueprints, Freshman Leadership Connection, Colors of KU, KU Quest, etc. Maximum of 20 training hours can be counted toward the total 48 hours needed to complete the certificate.
- Depending on the content, internship or practicum experiences may count but need to be petitioned.